View Single Post
Old 02-10-2010, 12:40 PM   #15
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykalberta View Post
I was in the same position. I garbaged almost all my DVD cases and kept my original DVD in case the MPAA Nazzis come knocking.

I bought 2 1.5 TB Hard drives and made a clone copy onto the second one then took it out of my computer. Its kept in a cool low humidity location with its antistatic bag. I have outlook reminders set to test it twice a year just to make sure.

Online backup options arent cost effective for that kind of storage. They are good for documents etc but not the archiving of all your DVDs.

FYI - Handbrake + AnyDVD is the shiz. 30 day free trial of AnyDVD - if you need it longer just rebuild your computer - I did 3 times. If AnyDVD was reasonable priced I would have no problem dropping $20 for it, but not $60 for a 1 year license.
Online backup options can be cost effective - Mozy is 5 bucks a month for unlimited storage - as long as the file is live on your server machine, its backed up (Mozy is not remote storage though - if you delete the file from your server, or put it on removable media, and leave the removable media disconnected, its gone after 60 days). I consider Mozy to be a $5 monthly surcharge on my house insurance, to ensure I can get all my digital possessions back in the event of a catastrophe.

Sucks about AnyDVD - I bought it last year (I think) before they went to a yearly fee, so I have lifetime updates. Instead of reinstalling your machine all the time, if you don't want to pay that much yearly, install the trial version in a virtual machine, take a snapshot of the VM, and keep rolling the VM snapshot back as required. Much cleaner