View Single Post
Old 02-10-2010, 11:18 AM   #10
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

You both raise lots of interesting things to think about. In my mind I wasn't making a distinction between redundancy and backup. I was only thinking about drive failure and not about all the other problems that can mess up your data.

I have two types of data. Data that can be replaced and data that can't (err..I guess that is obvious). The data that can be replaced are things like my DVD's and my CD's. It would take a lot of time to rip everything again, but that's all it would take is time. However data like pictures, iTunes purchases and documents can't be replaced. I think I can find a happy medium between redundancy and backup while keeping costs down (my gadget budget isn't huge, but the list of gadgets is).

I think I will buy two 1 or 1.5 TB hard drives, RAID 1 them and put all my media on them (movies, music and pictures). This will give me hard drive redundancy and some piece of mind. It will also save me the money of buying something like a NAS or Drobo.

Then I think I will try a trial of the online backup sites for the data that cannot be replaced. In terms of file size the irreplaceable data is significantly smaller than my whole music and DVD library ripped onto my computer is, so it shouldn't take a long time to put everything on there. But I suppose it also allows me to backup everything else if I decide to as well. I'll have to put more thought into the online backup and see if it is worth it or not.
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote