View Single Post
Old 06-24-2019, 08:09 AM   #32
tkflames
First Line Centre

Exp:

For better or for worse...this has the potential to be a really boring free agent period for Flames fans. In order to sign anyone, we would need to dump some salary. In order to dump salary we need someone to want the player as I dont see the flames using picks to sell. I also don't see Frolik or Stone as better options than what is available during free agency...as such I expect teams with cap space to chase free agents first.

Most likely once the dust settles, some teams will still be short a defenseman or middle six winger. At that point there may be opportunity to trade Stone or Frolik (or buyout stone...not preferred). Unfortunately, by that point it is unlikely that the key free agents are left. I also suspect that free agents will be quick to sign this year as there is only so much cap space to go around.

Brodie is a bit of a different beast as he could be part of a hockey deal or a salary dump (I would guess hockey deal). I expect the flames to make a trade or two July 1 to 15 and maybe make a minor signing (e.g 1b goalie).