View Single Post
Old 04-20-2012, 07:39 PM   #619
Red John
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
I took a bunch of pics and videos of Devonian Gardens before it closed. It will never be the same again. Sure the preview designs of the new one make it look like some kind of Star Trek arboretum but I will always miss the old 70s clunker.

By the late 2000s, it was so old that it started feeling very natural and I will always remember sitting at tables in odd places surrounded by dirt spilled onto the paths and surrouded by overgrowth and actual birds flying around and hopping beside me to pick up my crumbs inside the building.

I also really loved that old skating rink/flower pool that they had in that far corner that was open to the air. Going back 20 years later, it still felt the exact same as when I was a kid and it had a magical quality. I think all of it is gone now. Most of the garden's space has been lost to opening up the skylight of The Core (Eaton Centre).
Agreed completely, it was amazing. Each little pond/fountain was unique. There was that big one where the fountain got bigger and smaller (did it? or was that Southgate mall in Edmonton). There was that one with the showerhead-type drizzle that came down. There was that one with tiny little rock shelves all the way down that was frequently emptied and used as a place to seat a small audience for weddings.

If you could PM some of those pics it would be much appreciated.

Apparently the new Gardens is supposed to cover 2.5 acres...wasn't the old one much bigger than that? Seem to recall it being massive but everything seems big when you are little.
Could frame thy fearful symmetry?

Last edited by Red John; 04-20-2012 at 07:41 PM.
Red John is offline   Reply With Quote