View Single Post
Old 04-20-2012, 06:32 PM   #612
Red John
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyang View Post
Some great memories - triggered a few of my own:

As did Brentwood Mall - they had a big sign out front facing Crowchild showing which movies were currently playing.

The 2&7/Hello Calgary song "Makes no difference where I go, you're the best hometown I know. Hello Calgary..."

Also, we were more of a CFCN household - Darryl Janz for news, Ken Newman for sports. I think the switch to 2&7 occurred for us when the Flames came to town, and there was a Flames game on 2&7 almost every Thursday night at 7:30pm. I remember always trying to convince my parents to let me stay up and watch the whole game - bedtime was 9 for me then.

Mom worked at the Woodward's bakery. I remember the arcade in Market Mall - was it called Magic Castle? We weren't allowed to go, but snuck out there anyways. I can still feel that strange mix of guilt and pleasure...

Cheapest I seem to remember was around 30cents/litre. We always filled up at the Turbo station on Crowchild (I think it was across from where Ranchlands is now).

Yup, it was 85th street then. Scenic Acres was a big field where I sometimes caught tadpoles in the stagnant ponds. Silver Springs had just been built.

Or do you mean Nose Hill? I remember horses on Nose Hill - at the entrance along John Laurie across from Brisebois (or was it Charleswood?), there used to be a place that let you go horseback riding. I was too young and too scared to go.

I remember when CHQR played music. I think it was AM 1140 back then...
By Nose Hill, mean the area around where the driving range was and leading across the road where Nose Hill Drive is now, and up the hill where those nice houses are.

All grassland with wild horses. Got a huge kick going and watching them as a young 'un from a lookout on Silver Valley Blvd.

Also remember the Dean House in Inglewood, wasn't it supposed to be haunted or something?
Could frame thy fearful symmetry?
Red John is offline   Reply With Quote