psyang
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Some great memories - triggered a few of my own:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
Good memories:
-Market mall had a movie theatre
As did Brentwood Mall - they had a big sign out front facing Crowchild showing which movies were currently playing.

Quote:
-Grant Pollock, Ed Whalen and Nirmala Naidoo-Hill from 2&7
The 2&7/Hello Calgary song "Makes no difference where I go, you're the best hometown I know. Hello Calgary..."

Also, we were more of a CFCN household - Darryl Janz for news, Ken Newman for sports. I think the switch to 2&7 occurred for us when the Flames came to town, and there was a Flames game on 2&7 almost every Thursday night at 7:30pm. I remember always trying to convince my parents to let me stay up and watch the whole game - bedtime was 9 for me then.

Quote:
-when old Market mall had Woodwards where zellers is now, and A&W was on that end of the mall
Mom worked at the Woodward's bakery. I remember the arcade in Market Mall - was it called Magic Castle? We weren't allowed to go, but snuck out there anyways. I can still feel that strange mix of guilt and pleasure...

Quote:
-gas was around 54 cents a litre
Cheapest I seem to remember was around 30cents/litre. We always filled up at the Turbo station on Crowchild (I think it was across from where Ranchlands is now).

Quote:
-when Nose Hill drive was just a field where wild horses grazed
Yup, it was 85th street then. Scenic Acres was a big field where I sometimes caught tadpoles in the stagnant ponds. Silver Springs had just been built.

Or do you mean Nose Hill? I remember horses on Nose Hill - at the entrance along John Laurie across from Brisebois (or was it Charleswood?), there used to be a place that let you go horseback riding. I was too young and too scared to go.

Quote:
-most of the good radio stations being on AM except kick107
I remember when CHQR played music. I think it was AM 1140 back then...
psyang is offline   Reply With Quote