View Single Post
Old 09-03-2019, 11:59 AM   #59
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
I’d agree with this. Winning the division just seems somewhat insignificant for a banner raising. The division could be weaker, the divisions are fairly small, four teams get to raise one every year, etc.

Having the best record in the entire league, making it to the finals, and winning the Cup are all significant accomplishments. Division champions just seems like a way to add significance to the divisions themselves. I think it’d make a little more sense if they played the majority of games in-division.
I also tend to agree, and in the present the most effective argument to be made for raising banners for Division winners comes from an appreciation of the tradition: Divisional banners are raised because they have always been raised in the living memory of most hockey fans. Were the League to adopt a departure from the tradition, then I would think it should also come at the expense of all the existing Divisional winning banners.

From the League's perspective, I think it makes sense for aesthetic reasons. Let's be honest: were no team to celebrate Division wins, then most buildings would have almost no banners having in the rafters. The banners fill out the building and make it a more inviting place to be. Is this enough of an excuse to keep raising them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote