View Single Post
Old 04-09-2013, 12:30 PM   #17
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Vail View Post
If that were true, Calgary would draft as well as Detroit.

It is not a lottery or a crapshoot. Some teams are better at finding quality players after the blue chip players are gone.

The last of Detroit's late round steals was drafted almost 15 years ago. Detroit's "genius" came from being able to outspend the Flames 3 to 1 at the time, not only on their on-ice product but off the ice as well. Now that the playing field is more even (not even, but more even), Detroit's drafting and development looks average at best. Detroit's "genius" as an organization may be one of the most overstated hockey myths of all time

With their recent late first round picks the Wings have drafted Ferraro, Smith, Sheahan, McCollum, Kindl etc. Not impressive at all, probably below average compared to the league.

You're right that some teams are better than others at drafting in the late rounds, but Calgary isn't that bad. Since they established an actual scouting department (2004ish), their first round picks have largely dissapointed but their late round picks have been roughly average compared to the league in terms of success. Before this Calgary employeed only a couple full time scouts, but were asked to compete with full scouting departments in Detroit to find late-round steals. It's no wonder that they didn't succeed.

The scouting department was in it's baby-stages under Sutter, it is now more mature under this management and the results, although early to judge, are definitley looking good in early and late stages of the draft. I know I quoted your post and then went off on several tangents, sorry, but I feel it all still applies to this thread
neo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to neo45 For This Useful Post: