View Single Post
Old 03-01-2017, 03:38 PM   #1
PostandIn
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Condo build quality questions

Prompted partially by comments in the WRGMG thread, I am considering a condo and have some questions about noise transmission from suite to suite. Given that there are differences in building specifications and installation quality, can anyone comment generally about expectations relative to price?

For example, the building I am looking at specifies a 16" wood truss system, insulated with loose fill insulation, plywood sub-floor and 1.5" gypcrete. This strikes me as a fairly effective combination of materials / technologies for sound proofing, but is it? Where on the scale is this spec? Middle of the road for new construction? Upper end?

For wall systems, they have listed resilient channel drywall separators (which appear to be an effective and well-regarded sound deadening technology) and X type 5/8" drywall. While the website doesn't specify insulation in the shared walls my assumption is there will be something.

Comments?

Last edited by PostandIn; 03-02-2017 at 10:45 AM. Reason: Typo: Last sentence - doesn't not does