View Single Post
Old 02-12-2020, 02:16 PM   #2341
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
What is a realistic timeframe for a battery to last? My wife has a 5S, had it about 3 years now and suddenly the battery life has gone to crap. She has no interest in ungrading to a newer phone ($$$) if possible so we are thinking of going the replacement battery route if it makes sense. Wondering it if it truly is the battery or if Apple has pushed out software updates that are essentially making the phone useless now.
Assuming she's upgraded to iOS12, in Settings > Battery it will tell you whether the phone is running in "peak performance" mode. If not, this is Apple's way of saying "we are slowing the phone down so it doesn't crash due to power issues". Apple used to do this without telling people, but now it is a "feature".

If it is not running in peak performance mode, then there will be a noticeable slowdown. You can toggle the setting manually, but you may notice more crashes in cold weather.

I replaced my battery in my iPhone 6 about a year ago for $60. It was not running in peak performance mode any more, had a reduced capacity, and was crashing in very cold weather. The new battery fixed the crashing, lasted longer, and sped up the phone.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote