View Single Post
Old 08-19-2019, 12:20 PM   #3302
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
Never looked at the plan for the north, but are we paying a boatload to create a bunch of terrible at grade crossings (a la 36 street)? Moving E-W anywhere north of Memorial is already a nightmare...

That sounds like a yes.

Put me on team BRT. Nobody knows exactly how it will play out, but I think AVs have the potential to change the way we look at mass transit. Dedicated BRT routes seem to offer the flexibility and potential for earlier adoption.

I know carpool lanes don't seem to be in vogue any more, but I wonder about BRT 'luxury toll roads' (ie. very expensive so it doesn't create any congestion within that system) could be possible. The biggest problem with both train tracks and BRT lanes is they are completely useless when there is no vehicle on them...

From a north route perspective, what is needed is frequency and reliability. I think the train would accomplish that better than the current bus network - especially in winter where you often have a) accordian buses that can't climb Centre St, and b) buses that are full and don't stop, and c) buses that are delayed.

I think for anybody in a vehicle who is travelling along Centre St. that would be a welcome change than having bussse continuously stop along the street all through rush hour. For cross traffic, that has to be worked out, but you have 4th St. and Edmonton Trails, so you just have to plan your route a bit before if you're driving.

7th Ave is also a bit of a special case. Trains aren't going to ever run really fast there with the concentration of platfoms along that section.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote