View Single Post
Old 05-19-2018, 10:36 PM   #1088
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaramonLS View Post
You're insane.
I'm not the one suggesting Jordan Peterson is presenting a position remotely in the realm or reality. You want to look up insane, look up most of the dogma Peterson espouses, and how that aligns with the reality most people are forced to live. Suggesting his perspective is anything but fringe is insane.

Quote:
If you consider me to be some sort of big fan of Peterson or someone who I've invested significant time in, you'd be wrong. He does make some good points and some others that are quite kooky. I've defended what I feel mischaracterizations of the man at points during this thread.
That's fine then. If we can agree that Peterson is fringe in most of his beliefs then we are likely in the same space.

Quote:
I don't recall Peterson saying anything remotely equivalent to the statement I pointed out from Dyson, especially with regards to restricting rights of a certain group based on race. Heck, in my post I even qualified it by saying that "if I took the least charitable view of his words".
Michael Eric Dyson, even misquoted or misinterpreted, is light years ahead of Jordan Peterson. Peterson is pop psychology bull#### with a side order of hubris. That is what makes me take the most critical perspective on him. Maybe it is because I expect so much from someone in his position.

Quote:
I'm quite content with my values - hopefully you see a problem with restricting rights of groups based on race, otherwise I don't think you're in any position to question my values.
I agree with what you're saying, but your support of a particular academic suggests you may have a conflict with your values, based on his ad what you say. And you're right, I may not be in the best position to judge your values, as my own values come into question when I try to balance support of certain positions, but I still feel it important to point out the contradiction. I hope you can appreciate that. I know I appreciate that when others do the same for me.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post: