View Single Post
Old 08-15-2017, 11:28 AM   #1171
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
I always thought he wasn't a good player and couldn't figure out why Floro always put him in the lineup.

Once he was actually allowed to go forward a little bit, what a difference. He looked like a different player during the Gold Cup.
Piette often looked bad under Floro because he was played in a more advanced midfield role that wasn't to his strengths. His game is solely suited to a destroyer role, a holding mid protecting the back four. The one time I saw Piette in that role under Floro that I remember (against Dominica mind you), he was tremendous.

Piette is not good at getting forward, but I thought he and Arfield linked up well in midfield in the Scotland and Curacao friendlies as well as the Gold Cup. Let Piette do the dirty work to intercept the ball and let Arfield get the ball up field. Those two will be staples of the national team for a long time to come.

In his debut game with the Impact, he was tremendous in that role, playing better than any of Donadel, Bernardello or Mallace (with their Serie A and Liga MX experience), and was named to the MLS team of the week.

IMO, Piette will break JDG's national team caps record before he turns 30.

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote