View Single Post
Old 08-03-2017, 11:26 AM   #70
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I've already had to adjust my coaching style over the first couple of days.

Its far different coaching a team of second year players because they're physically more developed, they know the language and understand football 101. They've also seen the competition.

Right now, I have mostly wide eyed rookies, some that have come from Peewee some that have never played before.

So after day one in which our Veteran laden defense pretty much chewed up the offense which was running base plays. We had to step right back to football 101 alignment and assignment. We have to slow down the playbook insertion and go back to putting up a garbage can defense and going through every ones role in every base play.

We can't lose our tempers as coaches when kids can't execute or flub up, we have to remind them that this is day 2 of a long over the season process.

I went back to my defensive playbook from a decade ago when I coached high school ball.

The goal is an escalator that we have to put these kids on.

We have to take the technique poor and inexperience kids and make them football players

We have to take the football players and make them starters

We have to take the Starters and make them standouts.

We have to take the standouts and make them stars.

Everything comes down in football to motor and knowledge. We have to develop both.

The other thing that we as coaches tend to forget because our playing time is so long ago, is that when we first stepped on the field at each level the game was moving faster then it ever has, all sorts of stuff is happening at high speed. At some point though in one play everything will slow down to a crawl and you'll be able to be aware of more of whats happening.

In our interview with Kamar Jordan a few weeks back, he talked about the biggest change for him was being able to play fast. Because his football knowledge was so developed this year he didn't have to think about what he was doing, he could just do it at a high tempo.

I needed to remind myself that I need to be a lot more patient this year.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote