View Single Post
Old 10-18-2017, 12:56 PM   #28
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
OT, how much does a full set up to run cables like that cost?

I'm leaning towards thinking it's worth it to ask a pro to "install/replace" the wiring of a single ethernet cable and replace two panels from telephone/coax to ethernet/coax in my basement. The ethernet cable that needs to be replaced/installed shares a panel with a coax line I know that works because BluSky TV worked through it.
So, my material costs were $300 CDN for 1000' of CAT6, a 24-port patch panel, and all of the wall plates and keystone plates, patch cords, etc. to the switch, etc.

I borrowed a few tools like fish tape, but I had to buy a bore-scope, because it was getting really frustrating not knowing if there was a route or not to where I wanted the wires to go. Strong magnets were good for dragging strings through walls or ceilings. Tent poles are also came in very handy. Even magnets attached to tent poles. Oh god, I love magnets.

Big thing is just planning where you want to terminate everything eventually. I was kind of lucky because I had a long bulkhead in the basement that ran all the way across the house perpendicular to all of the joists.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post: