View Single Post
Old 03-31-2020, 07:39 AM   #94
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deviaant View Post
https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/26...ron-cornbread/

I am making a stew today for dinner. I've always really liked cornbread but for some reason I've never made it. It seems simple enough to make so I'm going to give it a try but I'm going to add some creamed corn to the recipie and I'm going to finish off the cornbread with a honey butter (and some yet to be determined spice)

I think I'm going to gain a pound or two during this pandemic.
I would like to suggest Parmesan Dumplings next time you make a stew.

NOTE: The dumplings are prepared and cooked on top of the stew once the stew is fully cooked...not while the stew is simmering or braising.

Parmesan dumplings
125 g butter (a bit more than 1/2 cup)
250 g flour (2 cups)
1 Tbsp baking powder
1/2 cup Parmesan, finely grated
100 ml milk (about 2/5 cup), or as required
3/4/2 tsp salt
2 to 4 Tbsp fresh parsley, minced

Put the butter, flour, baking powder, salt and Parmesan in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse until the mixture resembles rough breadcrumbs.
Put the mixture in a bowl and slowly add the milk until the mixture comes together and forms a ball. The dough should be on the stiff side but still tacky, not as stiff as bread dough.

Remove the dough and form dumplings, just slightly smaller in size than golf balls. The dough should roll quite easily in your hand. If your hands get sticky, rinse them with a little water and then continue rolling.

Evenly space the dumplings on top of the stew, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes. The stew has to be simmering gently, not boiling, or the dumplings will fall apart. You could also uncover the stew once the dumplings have cooked, turn on the broiler, and cook the dumplings until golden brown.

When the dumplings are cooked through, remove the lid, and serve immediately.

This recipe makes enough dumplings to cover stew that was cooked in a 6 quart Dutch oven. Make half the recipe if you have not made that much stew.

Also, keep in mind, that recipe amounts are always just a suggestion. If you feel the dough is too stiff, add more milk. Just like bread recipes, dumplings and the like are influenced by the moisture in the air on any particular day.

I suspect that is why you had trouble with your cornbread too. You probably needed less cornmeal or more buttermilk. Also, cornmeal does not contain gluten and hence it will never have the same crumb as regular bread. Next time, try soaking the cornmeal and buttermilk before adding the rest of the ingredients. Also as I previously suggested, add some creamed corn and for a Mexican kick, add in a can of Mexican diced chilies.
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to redforever For This Useful Post: