View Single Post
Old 03-26-2020, 12:02 PM   #81
Deviaant
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Beef Bourguignon is my go to.

1.5Kg stewing beef cubes tossed in flour, salt and pepper, a jar of pickled onions, a lb of mushrooms, a carrot, some parsley and about 1/2 lb of bacon, preferably uncut so you can cube it.

Cook bacon in a cast iron dutch oven until brown - I use a Lodge, they're good. Remove bacon, but leave the heat on, and cook the beef cubes in the fat until browned. Take those out too, put in the carrots and onions and brown them along with a few sliced up cloves of garlic.

Add back in the meat, add 3 cups beef stock, 3 cups wine, 1 tbsp tomato paste, some oregano or thyme, and a couple of bay leaves. Bring to a boil, then remove from stove and put in the oven for 3 hours at 325. Take the top off, stir, then put it back in for another hour or until it's thick.

When it's almost done, cut the mushrooms up, sautee them in butter, chop the parsley up, and then when the beef is finished, stir in the mushrooms and parsley.

Le voila. Serve with mashed potatoes. It's delicious and really hard to screw up.
I'm a big fan of San Marzano Tomato's so I generally take any opportunity to use them when I can.

If you want to try something just a little different, swap out the tomato paste or cut back a bit on it and add some pureed San Marzano Tomato's. Just be careful it does add a bit of liquid to it so maybe cutback on a liquid somewhere else to compensate.

I'm a sales guy not a chef so take anything I say with a grain of salt. I just think it adds another level of flavor you don't necessarily get with just tomato paste.
Deviaant is offline   Reply With Quote