View Single Post
Old 02-12-2019, 09:10 PM   #22
CorbeauNoir
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traditional_Ale View Post
I consider myself open-minded when it comes to music, and especially new music. Going and seeing an act I've never heard of is something I do quite often, sometimes on a suggestion from a friend but also because they had a cool poster, or I happened to be passing by a venue and decided to head in to see what was what. I've gone from the orchestra to a punk show in the same night on multiple occasions. Hell, speaking of punk, for some reason it gets a lot of leeway with me because the raw energy of it can make up for skill and still be awesome.

Sled Island seems to have a lot of acts that I would wager don't actually get gigs all that often, because while their indie-rock/hipster/neo-punk attitude fits the bill fine, their music is just really terrible. Is there a specific venue that has more of the higher-caliber bands? Like, the opposite of Tubby Dog?
There's a number of them. Central United Church and the National Music Center are venues I personally find host the lion's share of my SI highlights year in and year out. The other large(r surviving) marquee venues are the #1 Legion's main floor (typically focused around metal and punk), Commonwealth, Broken City's main floor, and the Palace (now mostly used for the "headline" acts now that Olympic Plaza's a bust). Most of the other venues that get used are largely geared towards the kind of small regional/low-billing/emerging acts you're talking about.
CorbeauNoir is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CorbeauNoir For This Useful Post: