View Single Post
Old 02-12-2019, 08:58 PM   #21
Traditional_Ale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
What do you like? They select quite a wide variety of bands.

Sample artists here (stream 2019 lineup):

https://www.sledisland.com/listen?random=1

If you find a band you like, the sled island site will suggest some similar bands, and they tend to group them together at the same venues. There will be lots of local bands that I can talk about, and I will post videos for some of the bands that I am excited to see. The festival is about discovery. Go see a bunch of bands you never heard of - some of them you won't like, and some will become your new favorite bands.

I consider myself open-minded when it comes to music, and especially new music. Going and seeing an act I've never heard of is something I do quite often, sometimes on a suggestion from a friend but also because they had a cool poster, or I happened to be passing by a venue and decided to head in to see what was what. I've gone from the orchestra to a punk show in the same night on multiple occasions. Hell, speaking of punk, for some reason it gets a lot of leeway with me because the raw energy of it can make up for skill and still be awesome.

Sled Island seems to have a lot of acts that I would wager don't actually get gigs all that often, because while their indie-rock/hipster/neo-punk attitude fits the bill fine, their music is just really terrible. Is there a specific venue that has more of the higher-caliber bands? Like, the opposite of Tubby Dog?

So far, this is the oldest I've been.
Traditional_Ale is offline   Reply With Quote