View Single Post
Old 09-06-2018, 11:12 PM   #498
Thunderball
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post
Ottawa Fury publicly state that they will be staying in USL for 2019. For the most part, fan reaction is quite negative to the move. They've taken a pretty big hit in attendance this year as fan apathy has set in due to the move to USL and lack of results.

I've heard from a few people with more connections than I have that the CSA will not sanction them if they stay in USL. Personally, I hope the CSA gets the balls to do it, but I would not be surprised if they were sanctioned, nor is it the end of the world if they are.

https://twitter.com/OttawaFuryFC/sta...01958267711491
CSA better not be that short-sighted. For all we know, this league could fold in one season like the CBL. Maybe when CPL has a few successful seasons, they can brow beat established franchises in established leagues to fall in line with the domestic league or lose sanctioning. Right now, CPL is div 1 in name only, and may end up being only marginally better than PDL, let alone USL, depending on how much they are willing to play for decent players.

My concern is that the Fury have a 7 digit payroll, and CPL is cheaping out on 500-700k caps (like Pacific FC has been saying) which would likely be a non starter for the Fury since it means cuts. I think it also means the CPL won't attract much for talent or many known NT players. If there are ownership groups that can't (or won't) afford a 1.5-2m payroll (with or without designated players), I'm concerned this league will be a bit of a joke when it comes to attracting more than die hards and friends/family. No one is expecting MLS level spending, but its got to exceed USL to be serious.

I hope I'm wrong and the league announces a reasonable salary cap and an ability to draw in some known players in Canada or abroad.

Last edited by Thunderball; 09-06-2018 at 11:16 PM.
Thunderball is offline   Reply With Quote