View Single Post
Old 04-17-2019, 12:04 AM   #3290
snootchiebootchies
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I thought there was a thread about a year ago about Vancouver real estate but couldn't find it. So I'll put this story here:

'$1,000 bucks for all this?': Students live like kings in Vancouver’s empty mansions

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/college-...ions-1.1244950

Quote:
Isaiah Boodhoo, 22, thought it was a “complete hoax” when he saw a rental listing on Facebook for a bedroom in a Vancouver mansion for only $1,100 a month.

It turned out the glass chandeliers, luxurious blue drapes, steam room and billiards table were for real. The nine-bedroom home, dubbed “The Castle” by the 14 students who share the property, is apparently owned by an Afghani pop artist, according to Boodhoo.

“Honestly, I would stay here for as long as I could,” he said, sitting on a white couch while sipping from a Slurpee cup. “$1,000 bucks for all this?”

Others may also soon find themselves as lucky as more mansion owners in the city turn to renting to avoid a new tax on empty homes. In the new world of Vancouver’s housing market, where Chinese investors are decamping and low-ball offers are the norm, students can find themselves living in the lap of luxury.