View Single Post
Old 11-13-2019, 07:26 AM   #1391
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kybosh View Post
So today was my first real "winter commute" and I felt pretty sketch through lots of it. I need to go down either crescent Heights hill (or centre Street/Edmonton trail/whatever Hill) and struggled with even with my studded tires. It was super icy and slushy and I had a difficult time turning especially. Does anyone have any insight on how to manoeuvre in a safer and easier way? My gf was with me and even had a slow motion spill (also with studded tires).
The soft/slushy snow is known as snirt, and it loves to grab tires and move them anyway it pleases. I find when riding on it shifting some weight onto my front tire helps cut through it (I ride 35mm studded tires in the winter) and smooth out some of the grabbing.

I also lower my seat down a little more for winter riding, and when riding sketchy stuff am usually ready to get my feet off the pedals and out to either side for some stability if things start going sideways.

Dealing with those hills though, there won't be much you can do about it until they get cleared nice. Always plan to maybe do some walking if conditions are really tough.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote