View Single Post
Old 11-12-2019, 06:57 PM   #1390
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kybosh View Post
So today was my first real "winter commute" and I felt pretty sketch through lots of it. I need to go down either crescent Heights hill (or centre Street/Edmonton trail/whatever Hill) and struggled with even with my studded tires. It was super icy and slushy and I had a difficult time turning especially. Does anyone have any insight on how to manoeuvre in a safer and easier way? My gf was with me and even had a slow motion spill (also with studded tires).

First off... great job for sucking it up and doing it. It's these near-zero temps that really honestly are the worst and often most dangerous IMO. Except for those surprise blizzards that suddenly dump 6-12" just hours before your epic commute home.

A few other options, and I'm not trying to be an @$$ about it:
1. Choose an alternate route that doesn't scare the crap out of you
2. You may need to "own your lane" in order to ensure you ride *for your own safety* rather than other motorists convenience
3. look at the type of front tire you're running versus the snow type. Sometimes the skinny tires work better (ie they can cut down through the slush)... sometimes they just get all squirrelly; ditto for 2.x" tires.
4. not all studded tires are equal - some are friggin awful. Ya gotta find what works for you.

I'm currently riding with a 700cx38 Gravdal fully studded up front and an older Nokian Hakkapolitta 700c studded in the back on the gravel bike and it's amazing. When it gets crappier I move the Gravdal front wheel to my hybrid (it's more upright and has panniers and hence more stable) which has a 26" Schwalbe snow stud in back... this has by and large been the best combo for me the last ~5-7 years.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote