Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Issue type questions
There is a hierarchy that goes like this:
- Epic
- Story/Task/Bug
-Sub-task/Bug Sub-task

You can customize the issue types, but that is the general setup.

An Epic for a software project would usually be like a feature. Say "Customer can view order status".

A story is a breakdown of that work into a testable unit that ideally delivers some kind of value. For example, under the above epic you could have "Packages shipped by UPS show tracking link".

That story could have sub-tasks that usually the engineers use for their own purposes, for example "Generate authorization token for UPS API calls".

When the sub-tasks are done, the story is done. When all stories in an epic are done, the Epic is done.

Stories don't have to be associated to an epic. Maybe a Product manager had a one off idea to make some text bigger so users could see it easier. They could create a story that said "Make order ID text bigger" and it can sit on it's own with no Epic.

Tasks are usually identical to stories, but used to internally discern what type of work it is. For example, if it's something that doesn't involve code being written (documentation, research) it could be a Task.

Bugs can be in an epic if you like, but are more often standalone.

Quote:
I also didn't see where I could attach a budget to the project or to stories in Jira, am I missing something in the field setup?
You can use custom fields to do almost anything. Jira doesn't support this natively, because budgeting in an agile manner for an agile project is simple. You choose to make an investment in a certain area. For example, you task a team with increasing orders per month for customers. Your budget is whatever the team costs you to run times how long you want to work on this investment. Or you may have a defined metric for that goal you work towards indefinitely, and make the call to stop investing there when you see diminishing returns.

Quote:
When I switch to my view of the Kanban board under classic project, my backlog view vanishes. But when I'm in the Scrum board, I can go to my backlog?
Scrum boards will have the "backlog" option on the far left of the UI.

Kanban boards by default have the "backlog" as the far left column on the board. Jira does support a Kanban backlog view that uses a scrum style view for a Kanban board if you turn that feature on for your specific board.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post: