Thread: Scrum Method
View Single Post
Old 05-26-2020, 09:37 PM   #25
r00t
Draft Pick

I think my cynicism arises from the amount of zombie scrum I've seen. A short working meeting where folks align on work in progress and impediments is absolutely an amazing thing. On a high performing team, less explicit process is required anyway but all too often, many organizations treat scrum as a process to install and now they're "agile". In doing that, they miss all the other things required to actually achieve what agile is supposed to promise (whether it's the relentless reduction of toil in DevOps, the transparency and continuous improvement of Kanban systems, the technical excellence in XP, the loosely coupled architecture in Domain Driven Design, or the multitude of other considerations that fall under "agile").

The comment earlier about scrum being a great place to start holds true: it does ask the org to value small, cross-functional teams as the primary value creation engine. But the other comments related to funding (economic view of value), organizational design, and understanding the flow of value are where the real secret sauce is.

It's super exciting that you're getting into the agile space though Cap. I've seen statistics that say over 95% of organizations are experimenting with agile delivery in one way or another.

I'd encourage you to look into some of the meetup groups that exist around agile as well. CAMUG has been around forever and used to be a pretty good place to get a free meal the first Thursday of every month. It's been around forever and a lot of folks from the relatively small agile community in Calgary participate to varying degrees.

Last edited by r00t; 05-27-2020 at 08:23 AM.
r00t is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to r00t For This Useful Post: