View Single Post
Old 08-10-2019, 08:12 AM   #699
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
Terrorism doesn't produce reasonable reactions.

57 percent of American high school students surveyed are at least somewhat worried about a shooting at their school. This includes 64% of girls, 60% of black students, and 73% of Hispanic kids. Why do you imagine those last three groups are especially twitchy about it?

The same survey finds 63% of parents are concerned, and that concern is especially pronounced on the lower side of the economic spectrum. 83% (!!!!!!!!!) Of parents making less than $30,000/year are scared about their kids getting murdered at school. According to Google, the median individual income in the US is $31,099/year. Do the math on that one.

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tan...their-concern/
Median household income is more like $60,000, which would be a more appropriate number to use. I don't really understand that point though. The mass school shootings tend to be at suburban middle or upper middle class schools. Individual hand gun type shootings are more likely at lower income schools.

That just reinforces my belief that these shootings get a disproportionately high amount of coverage and sensationalism from cable news. That leads to people being more afraid of something that is unlikely to happen. I also think that the sensational media coverage leads to more of these events happening.

For the record, I'm perfectly ok with banning and removing any and all guns. I just think public policy should be about making a real difference to people's safety and not reacting to what gets the most coverage on the news.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nfotiu For This Useful Post: