View Single Post
Old 05-24-2021, 09:11 AM   #1
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Draft lottery - change in process

Hey folks
As we have posted, our approach to the draft lottery is simply to use the NHL one and assign CPHL teams to the corresponding NHL teams and let the lottery from the NHL dictate our order on that basis. Last year we did not do this because the NHL followed a different process due to COVID.
It occurred to me last night that we again can't use their lottery, because of two factors
- The inclusion of Seattle into the NHL lottery
- The bigger one - Phoenix pick being voided. With this - if Phoenix wins the NHL lottery they have stated that the lottery will be re-run. This means whoever matches Phoenix with our standings could similarly also not win the lottery.

So here's how I propose we handle
- Use a draft lottery simulator (http://www.tankathon.com/nhl) like we did last year
- Assign CPHL teams to NHL teams as we already do, including Phoenix but excluding Seattle.
- This means that we just skip Seattle in the results. For instance of Seattle wins the #2 overall pick in our lottery, we just skip it because no team will be assigned to them, and the #3 team will pick #2.
- We can run the lottery on the same day as the NHL (Wed June 2nd)
- I can set up a zoom call to have a few people "witness" the lottery being simmed live.

Any questions or concerns with this?
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post: