View Single Post
Old 01-11-2019, 07:00 PM   #94
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flames_fan_down_under View Post
1) Who?

2) Well Bautista wasn't a "signing" he was traded for and they got Bautista when he was 27 years old. Extremely atypical development for a hitter at his age who had bounced between several teams before landing in T.O. and see him turn him into a 50 home run hitter at the age of 29. I dunno I feel like that is a pretty tough standard to meet in terms of all players being acquired by Atkins and Co.

Did they not just give a lot of at bats to the likes of Billy Mckinney (former top 100 prospect) and Randall Grichuk (former 1st round pick)? Are they not "boom-bust" guys with high upside?

And since when have the Jays signed marquee free agents? Marquee free agents want money and term and not to play on turf and none of those things are things that the Jays want to do right now.
I was unclear about the Bautista - I was more referring to high risk, high upside guys moreso that hoping for another replica of Bautista. What's the point of giving a guy a shot when his upside is severely limited? Swing for the fences. I do like the two that you mentioned, but I don't see enough of that with any of these signings. Even today's Martin deal, they didn't get a top 30 prospect, they got a top 30 prospect on the Dodgers, while sucking salary. They're relying on quantity rather than quality to hit quality guys. I'm fine with that to some degree but there isn't much upside in these guys so I'm hoping some of them get packaged for a higher upside guy (if possible).

You may be right on the free agents, but it's still about the money - throw enough and you got a deal.

As for who can still be dealt, simple - first two to start - Pillar, Morales, and Smoak. Then you have Travis who if you can get good value, may not be part of the future. This isn't to mention the pitchers. There are guys to deal who won't get higher value later.
bluejays is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bluejays For This Useful Post: