View Single Post
Old 12-07-2017, 08:38 AM   #609
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring_Back_Shantz View Post
What you and every other dude who thinks this is a slippery slope leading to a day when no one can ever ask anyone out is missing is that equality doesn't mean everyone is being treated equally.

Like it or not, men are, and should be held to a higher standard when it comes to things like this because by and large, we are likely in a position that will make women feel uncomfortable when we make comments like that.

Is the male bartender going to be offended by this? Maybe.
Is he going to feel like he us unsafe, or unable to defend himself should it go farther than lewd comments? Probably not.

Now ask the same questions about a female server and male customers.

The fact is women have many reasons beyond "I don't want to have sex with that guy" that that sort of interaction may make them uncomfortable. And guys who say "If it's not okay for me to make those kinds of remarks, why is it okay for women?" are missing the point entirely.
It's not solely about the comments, there is a whole lot of context that goes along with it. And you know what, in the right context, sometimes it is okay for you to make those kinds of remarks, sometimes it isn't. The issue is, too many dudes don't understand which is which.

I am a little confused as to how the specific situation I mentioned should be treated differently for men and women ? In this situation the ladies weren't asking the bartender out, in fact to my knowledge, I don't even know if he had heard anything specifically other than maybe some light flirting when he was at the table.

I guess what I am having trouble with why should sexual and rude comments being made by women in the corporate workplace should be tolerated but if I a male makes comments all of a sudden its expected he should be railroaded??

I had used an example in earlier posts about guys chatting in a lunchroom about female colleagues and some posters fired back that I should keep my libido in check and that the workplace is not a social club. I agree but are we going to hold our female colleagues to the same standards? Somewhat similar? If a female colleague in the workplace had actually stepped over the line, how comfortable would a male manager be to actually go through the process of firing an employee of some comments?

I am not an expert in this field at all, all I know is how to behave properly and be respectful in the workplace and not play in the grey zones at all but some of the stuff I am hearing from people is just flat out strange. There are no right or wrong answers to every potential incident in a grey area sometimes.
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote