Thread: The Wedding MC
View Single Post
Old 07-21-2009, 08:32 AM   #11
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Just got back from doing this last weekend.

Money Guy's pointers were good. Here are a few of my own (there will be some redundancies)

- It's about the Bride & Groom. Keep the focus on them and always on them (unless introducing a speaker, like best man).

- Your job is to get from "Point A" to "Point B". Here's a quick run down of how I usually map things out (I've done this thrice now)

1 - Introduce yourself, say you'll be the emcee for the evening, and without any further adieu, introduce Bride & Groom as they come into the room (possibly wedding party depending on how they want things)

2 - Business logistics, where do you put gifts? Where's the bar? Where are the bathrooms? What are the party favours? Introduce the head table (even if the same as walking in, helps people remember names)

3 - Opening remarks. Wasn't today a great day for a wedding? The service was wonderful, let's have a round of applause for minister/preacher/preist/justice of the peace.

4 - Monologue. Think of it as like a late night talk show. Keep things G rated (depending on the couple and audience PG). You're talking to kids, and grandma. This isn't the bachelor party. Here's where you tell a story or two about the happy couple. Something cute, clever, and charming. (also of note using tricks like alliteration, rhyme, etc help your cause and instantly make you better as long as you don't trip up over your words. Last weekend The first 3 minutes I kept tripping over Scott & Shauna . . . IF you do that make fun of yourself, for the most part you stop doing it and people get a laugh.)

This is also prime wedding game territory. Hold up the shoe for who will do the dishes/better with money. What I did is asked the bride and groom questions about each other. Favourite Food/Song/Movie, always saying 'what's your beautiful bride/gorgeous groom's _____) I ended with asking the love of your life their favourite hockey team, when the bride answered I said "oh I'm sorry, I asked what THE LOVE OF YOUR LIFE'S favourite hockey team was . . . I'm a Calgary Flames fan!"

5 - Supper. Say something like how you've tortured everyone enough, let's bring out the food (call up whoever says grace if they're doing that).

6 - Little story/intro to how to do the kissing game if there is one

7 - Intro speeches

8 - Small closing, a short joke, thank yous, and party it down

I find this is a good formula, and if you realize you're not up there for 30-45 minutes it'll go well.

Only small part I disagree with Money Guy on is, it's ok to have a drink or two to help the nerves, but DO NOT GET DRUNK!

I've always had a beer or two, and a glass of wine in me. That said, I've trained debating competitively while drinking, and would have water with my wine too. If you know your limits, and drink based on that and NOT how you feel at the moment you'll be fine. If you're nervous you won't feel the alcohol until it's too late. The beer or two will kick away the nerves once you get going.

I've got a few new ideas and jokes if you want PM me and I'll copy/paste you the second last draft of my notes (I always go over before hand and make the last minute hand written changes)

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote