View Single Post
Old 07-03-2020, 12:50 PM   #2239
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
I think you nailed it. AEW is trying to do too many inside jokes, and basically trying to create a "meme" brand where everything can be trivialized and laughed at. Chuck and Trent getting driven to the arena by Chuck's mom is funny but is very limiting in terms of character elevation - something that Breezango suffers from too. Even the Hangman Page "drinking" bit is just meme stuff. The Bucks are all about the memes.

Eventually when you create this two dimensional predictable characters that are there to get a joke or meme over, people tune them out no matter how good a worker they are.

You know who played that Chuck and Trent concept brilliantly was Mikey Whipwreck in ECW and his work with Mick Foley. It was one of my favorite character builds.

Basically he was completely hapless and would spend a bunch of time getting beaten up, and then pull out a fluke win.

Mikey's promo's were brilliant because he's start talking tough and then pause and go white and say "Who am I kidding, I'm going to get killed, my mom didn't want me in this business" Then he'd start crying, it was so good.

Quote:
I honestly don't know who would be best to come in and do some script/story/character adjustments and set them on a focused path. My brain still keeps going back to Ryan Ward if he was available - simply because of the quality of Smackdown during that 2016 run. It felt fresh, focused, and matches had a big stakes feel.

Wards a good name, Tom Cosiello was pretty good with NXT. Brian Gewirtz would be a great name for AEW but I think he's pretty attached at the hip to the Rock.

Quote:
I really hope Tony Khan isn't writing scripts because I am confident he is the kind of dude to laugh at his own jokes and wants to see it play out on TV. Him and the creative team should work with the wrestlers to suggest their own character directions and work those into palpable storylines that constrains craziness or non-sensical. I have a feeling MJF probably has a ton of suggestions for his character and runs it by Tony/Cody all the time. His character seems to be on the best trajectory forward.

Like I said it sounds like Khan is pretty much the head writer on that committee right now. I think that maybe he listens to the wrestlers especially on the booking committee maybe too much, and he doesn't have someone saying, "That idea is ####ty", or stop and breath.

I mean the guy that really should know better is Arn, who's been around as a producer with every company, but they've even taken Arn, who was one of the greatest promo guys ever and a great performer who understands the business and I don't feel like they use him at all.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote