View Single Post
Old 07-30-2020, 02:28 PM   #5563
boogerz
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron_fdc View Post
CNRL is an entirely different animal than most oilsands operators. They operate INCREDIBLY lean, and pinch pennies like an Irish potato farmer (hence their low cost/BBL). From a supplier standpoint it's great when you hit on something that they like, because they IMMEDIATELY implement it across their operation. It sucks when it happens to you though....I've been undercut and left freezing in the dark a few times on a few projects, and had my pricing used against other suppliers to drive their purchase cost down.

If they bought out Husky or Imperial I would expect half the employees to get turfed, and be replaced with their business model which is the Murray Edwards special. Get one guy to do the job of three, work them like pack mules, and drive efficiencies out of every corner of your operation. It's actually pretty impressive to watch when it works. I have no idea how they manage it, I would burn out in a month if I worked there.
As an outsider, they sound like a great company with good operational discipline.

However, it's always puzzled me how/why people stay there long term. Last year, they made me a job offer that was embarrassingly low (I rejected it). The obviously overworked recruiter didn't do much in the way of creating a good candidate experience. Both of the hiring managers left CNRL 6-12 months later. I've also never met anyone with glowing praise about working for CNRL (especially ex-Devon and Shell people).

They'll probably be the last Canadian energy company left standing when all is said and done, but it's such an interesting dynamic with their employees.
boogerz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to boogerz For This Useful Post: