View Single Post
Old 05-26-2020, 10:22 PM   #58
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
I am a black American-Canadian, for the record. I don't really need affirmation of the struggle, thanks. The rest of my family is living it.

Destroying our own cities in response to these incidents makes white people call us thugs and hate us more. Ask me how I know.

Anything else to add?

My family and I feel our own way about and I'm not sure I have any obligation to tell you about the complexity of these issues.
First of all, I had no idea you're black. And of course you're aware of the struggle and you have your own feelings about this situation. I wasn't trying to be sanctimonious or anything like that.

I'm sure there are whites out there who would call the protestors in Minnesota thugs for destroying the city but, and forgive me if I'm mistaken, the point of the protests is to try and effect broad change, no? I'm not sure if the whites who call black people "thugs" are really the target audience of these protests. I think people who would say that only have to be motivated to do so and don't have the minds that these protestors are trying to change or influence.

Sure prejudiced white people are going to use terms like "thugs" but does that really matter if the base of rational people motivated to address this issue grows as a result of the protests?

Please let me know if I'm off base here.