View Single Post
Old 10-11-2018, 01:03 PM   #3480
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Hamonic is on an exceptional contact right now as far as cap hit, but he actually makes $4.875. I just think Treliving has him at peak and he will drive a hard bargain for an extension.

It is, as far as cap hits, a value contract. But guys on good value contracts aren't usually 30 when negotiating the next one. So 33% would probably be too high a raise for an end of career type.
I would say a value contract is Roman Josi. He currently has a cap hit (what they make each year seems irrelevant) of 4 million dollars.

When he signed he signed for 6.2 percent of the salary cap.

If Josi signed for the same percentage on a 85 million dollar cap he would sign for 5.27 million dollars a year. Roman Josi, despite being 30 years old when he signs his next contract will definitely sign for more than that, thus indicating he is on a value contract.

Hamonic is almost certainly going to sign for less than 5.1 million, so unlike Josi he is going to sign for less of a percentage of the cap than the original contract he signed, this despite them both being 30 years old.

Hamonic is the 76th highest paid dman in the NHL. I suspect someone could make a pretty strong argument he is no higher than the 76th best dman in the NHL, thus somewhat indicating that what he makes is right around the value he holds across the league. Saying he is on a value contract was just kinda something that was made up to justify giving up a 1st and two 2nds for a number 3-4 dman.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aarongavey For This Useful Post: