View Single Post
Old 08-26-2018, 07:12 PM   #63
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Latest nerdiness:
1. We now have dual WAN in the house. My Shaw 300 Mbps connection on WAN 1, with WAN 2 set to use our Telus 50 Mbps connection in a failover configuration. My house is basically a test bed for my nerdy endeavors. Two IP cameras have been installed in the garage, they're sending 5MP streams with audio (8,192 kbps bitrate @ 25 fps, about 1.4 MB/sec per camera) over a wirelessly meshed UAP-AC-Mesh and still have plenty of headroom.

2. MIL wanted the same wireless system we have, because she's tired of losing connectivity in the backyard and in her home office.

Problem: The house was originally built in the 50s, then heavily reno'd in the last 10 or so years. Some of the wiring is nice and new, and some of it is... well I'm pretty sure I found a couple Cat3 10Base-T cables in the wall. And unfortunately, most of the new Cat5e wasn't run to places where we wanted to place access points.

Answer: Actiontec MoCA 2.0 adapters. If you're a Telus Optik TV customer, you probably have seen these little boxes plugged into your set-top-box with an ethernet cable in one end and a coaxial cable in the other.

In layman's terms, a MoCA 2.0 adapter allows the (partial) use of RG-6 coaxial cable for IP networking, up to 1 Gbps theoretical subject to interference (of which coax is rather prone to compared to Cat5e). You have a box on either side with coax plugged into it, and Cat5e cable plugged in to your source and destination devices to complete the connection.

Why not Powerline ethernet? This house has two electrical panels. Separate circuits for the original part of the house and the new part. So from the get-go, we can't rely on PowerLine ethernet actually reaching the side of the house we want it to. Additionally, the house being split between modern wiring and old wiring means that we're at risk of even worse interference than the coax option. It's the riskiest option, arguably worse than doing exclusively wireless backhaul.

So while we can't use any of the Cat5e (or the Cat3) for installing her access points, we're using coax (of which a 1950s house is wired for extensively) for the data portion, and 24V Passive PoE injectors for powering the access points. I've already run around the house with a Coax Explorer 2 and determined which coax jacks correspond to which cable at the panel.

Three APs will cover the entire house plus the back yard. The back yard will be serviced by an ourdoor AP, which will mesh wirelessly. The Telus Actiontec router is set to bridged mode on port 1, and the Telus 2.4GHz network will be disabled to reduce interference (Telus STBs only use 5 GHz for wireless connectivity to the main DVR).
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote