View Single Post
Old 08-26-2018, 01:47 PM   #61
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
The general online consensus is that the orbi is actually a better-performing unit but a little bit more expensive.
I think it’s important to look at hops just not speed. I had the Orbi for 6 months and for me the Velop performs considerably better as a network device. The Orbi will get about 5-7% more speed when talking about downloads however that’s only noticeable when you’re below 300mbps which the majority of users see because Calgary needs better internets. Now if you have a 500mbps or faster then that gap grows.

Like I mentioned above the Orbi is a great system and I have nothing against it besides the issues I had with the wired backhaul through switches. If you have a 2 level house with no switches and everything runs wireless the Orbi is a great choice. I think you buy a mesh system for what your use is going to be. Google mesh is terrible at data transfers but is one of the highest selling mesh systems because people buy it to surf webpages and watch YouTube which it does as good as any other mesh system out there, you don’t see it’s weakness until you send a file to a computer on your system or have several devices browsing (due to no dedicated backhaul).

Networking is like buying a car I find. I had asus routers forever because they never gave me issues then I would go online and people would hate on them like no tomorrow. Then I bought a nighthawk because The online reviews said it was the cats pajamas and the thing was a nightmare with provisioning my smart home devices and would disconnect the TP-Link plugs and switches multiple times a day.

One could go crazy trying to pick “the best system available” because your needs might go against the strengths of the system.