Thread: 2021 NFL Season
View Single Post
Old 10-19-2021, 11:14 AM   #1028
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
You don't see the upside because you continue to use 1990s NFL thinking. I mean you are a Raider fan, you have literally seen first hand this year how easy it is to get into FG range in two plays with no timeouts (and the Titans had all three so...). Even kicking on fourth and inches the Bills were more likely to lose than win. In 2020s NFL you have to play aggressive and to win. It didn't work out, but if they play again tomorrow and do the same the Bills win. And more often than not the Bills win doing what they did. Don't you always take the chance that is more likely to succeed, one that is backed by statistical evidence? Kicking the FG is actually playing a hunch and taking a risk, far more than going for it.
I disagree that I'm 1990's NFL thinking. I have always felt NFL coaches are too conservative but this was not that case. I generally feel that teams on 4th and short or manageable should go for it anytime they are over the 50 yard line right up to the 30 yard line (or makeable FG range) and then it becomes situational based on the score. If I coached you would never see me punt on the opposition side of the field unless it's 4th and long and even that would depend on the situation of the quality of defense you are facing. In this particular case there was 23 seconds on the clock and if you make the 1st down you call TO and have maybe 20 seconds left. Your offensive playbook is limited to a very small handful of plays and the defense knows that it's going to be a quick slant or a fade into an end zone corner. Anything else is going to take too much time or risk a sack and possibly fumble. Take the FG go into overtime and have your full offensive playbook to get the win because I know I have the better team on both sides of the ball.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote