View Single Post
Old 05-09-2021, 03:23 PM   #22
Hanna Sniper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
A question came up during the playoffs that I said I would answer after - which is why I don't tend to adjust the settings for my team in my lines.

The answer is because it has never worked for me. As soon as I deviate from the standard settings my team seems to do worse. I know some GMs though have had more success with this - but not me. I built really skilled offensive teams in the past and tried to crank the offensive setting and my teams couldn't score goals. The ratings need a balance because they each create different events in the sim. For instance you need to have some physicality in your game because that's what seems to create turnovers to give your team the puck back.

I try to match players together that I think will play well more than play with the settings and that has worked better for me.

That being said the sim remains as much of a mystery to me as anyone else.
I have a theory on that

I've tried many things, and never found anything that works consistently... but I have been able to change the setting and have different results but nothing drastic nor predictable

My end result was that it's the simplest thing

... it s boost rating

Base Barzal is a SC 74 - DF 62 - CK 56

Line Setting 2 - 2 - 1
Barzal is a SC 76 - DF 64 - CK 57

Scoring Setting 5 - 0 -0
Barzal is a SC 79 - DF 62 - CK 56

Defence Setting 0 - 5 -0
Barzal is a SC74 - DF 67 - CK 56

Checking Setting 0 - 0 - 5
Barzal is a SC 74 - DF 62 - CK 61

There no automatic result that says a 79SC Barzal is going to outscore his base 74SC's self. Just like a huge SC'ing rating doesn't result in point totals. But what the line setting allows you do to is boost an area to try and help

If your player is already high in scoring a +5 or +2 might not even do anything but for a line that is defensively weak a little +5 to each player's DF might tighten up the line a wee bit

I HAVE NO PROOF THAT THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS

but it is so simple, that I think any other justification is just overthinking it. It would also explain why you have this option all over the place.

I would be curious what others have tought

Last edited by Hanna Sniper; 05-09-2021 at 03:29 PM.
Hanna Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Hanna Sniper For This Useful Post: