View Single Post
Old 12-16-2016, 06:02 PM   #49
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Cow Disease View Post
I really enjoyed it. A very refreshing addition to the franchise that added a bit more beef to the Star Wars universe. Invoked just enough material from the main series without overstepping its bounds or becoming ridiculous. Plot-wise, I actually far preferred this to the outlandish Starkiller Base narrative.

Some of the action sequences in this movie were phenomenal. The "ship cam" footage from the X-Wings battling in space just above a tropical planet was total eye candy.

Also, I loved Mendelsohn as the Imperial flunky du jour. He puts Hux to shame if you ask me.
Omg yeah, Battle for Scarif >>>>> Starkiller Base

The stakes, the visuals, and that underlying sense of 'hopelessness' as was mentioned. Starkiller was much more hokey and while attempting to come off as epic, it came off more hollow and overblown. Like the mission briefing dialogue.. "it's like the death star" - "no. that's the death star. This is Starkiller Base." - "So it's bigger. So what, anything can be blown up." - "He's right." - "Oh there's some oscillators, if we just take those out the whole thing should blow." - "Okay cool, let's go." Was so lame, even borrowing from the wacky scrutinized parts of ANH, whereas R1 instead completely redeemed that with a more complex narrative. SK was supposed to be a parallel to the Yavin 4 battle but again the tension and stakes were way higher in that battle with the trench run sequence. Starkiller had none of that. Just indestructible Poe flying through and blowing everything up all easy peasy.

And the quarrels between Krellic and Tarkin >>> Hux and Kylo Ren.

Mainly cause the Empire is far cooler, and the older boys are way more intimidating as power figures, as opposed to the young guns in Ep.VII who came off as petty kids fighting in a sandbox.

Rather large factors to why I liked R1 more.

Last edited by djsFlames; 12-16-2016 at 06:11 PM.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote