Thread: Nhl20
View Single Post
Old 12-04-2019, 11:33 AM   #23
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
for those that play franchise, I have a question.

I have scouts on the top 50 prospects (max # of players a scout can scout) in their region, and scouting "potential & comparison".

Yet, when it comes to the actual draft, I have NO data on like 90% the players, including guys who are at the top of the scout/CS rankings.

Am I doing something wrong with how to scout? Any decent material online anyone can share?
Here is my strategy, but note I play with Fog of War turned OFF.

I hire scouts with B+ or better according to region (not overall), with as high a Scout Efficiency stat as I can, the count of which follows:

WHL - 3
OHL - 3
QMJHL - 3
USA - 3 (1 for each of West, Central, and East)
Europe - 2
Scandinavia - 4 (2 for each of Finland and Sweden)
Russia - 2

I don't ever use the Find Prospects assignment. Instead, I use each scout to scout 10-12 players (depending on size of the prospect pool) in their respective region, starting with Player Type and working through each of the 5 assignments towards Potential and Comparison.

For example, in the WHL I use my highest rated scout in that region to scout the first 12 players, the second highest to the next 12, and the third to the next 12. Once they finish one assignment, I move to the next one until the 26 players are fully scouted by all 5 assignments. Except in rare situations, all stats for these players will be revealed.

For Europe, I have one assigned to split time between 2 leagues, and the other to the other 2. Apart from the CHL, the other leagues have smaller pools so you can split their assignments between regions. I almost always ignore EBEL and Rest of World (unless they show up on the Draft Rankings).

Once you have full details on the top 250 players in the draft you can really game it. I spend a lot of time detailing who I will draft and either moving up or down to draft the guy I want. Problem is this almost makes the game too easy, as I draft every high potential player and overload my team with value. I reconcile this by disbursing talent throughout the league based on my own judgement, such as giving away 5 high potential goalies to the 5 teams that need them the most. This in turn gives me more draft picks, and so continues the cycle.

I end up giving away a lot of picks. The most I've accumulated in a single draft year is about 35 picks across all rounds, including something like 12 first rounders.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran

Last edited by Yamer; 12-04-2019 at 02:24 PM. Reason: For clarity
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post: