View Single Post
Old 07-17-2019, 11:24 AM   #33
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
see, that's where I think that the club is in a lose-lose situation. If they sign Maguire, it's seen as desperation and overpayment. If they don't sign Maguire, it's seen as sitting on their hands and acceptance of mediocrity. Personally I prefer option A because I want the club to improve ... and Maguire does improve the defense, I don't think there's any doubt about that.
Sure Maguire, makes them better. No one is disputing that. But do I see him as someone that will anchor the defence against the very best for years to come? No.

If they don't sign Maguire it doesn't send the message to me of acceptance of mediocrity. It sends the message of being able to walk away from a bad deal. Unless, that is, they genuinely believe him to be a superstar defender. Signing him actually sends a message of mediocrity to me.

I want the club to improve also, but I don't want the defence to improve from a four to a seven and have to stagnate there for years based on a kneejerk buy.

As for that Bruce appointment. Sports business never fails to amaze me where businessmen will hire people to manage their multi million dollar product with a past work experience of fail,fail,fail,fail and multiple sacking.

Bagor is offline   Reply With Quote