View Single Post
Old 01-22-2013, 08:18 AM   #30
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerjones View Post
This is exactly my point, especially with the picture of all the killings since Sandy Hook.
And how many criminals are going to adhere to more stringent gun laws when /if they are enforced ? So logic being, the gun crimes are still going to be committed at the same rate but now there are going to 2500+ more gun crimes when law abiding citizens aren't carrying firearms
If guns are harder to come across, fewer gun crimes will occur. Now of course, with 310 million guns in the country, that's not going to happen overnight, even with a change in laws and or attitudes. But if a system exists where guns are unusual instead of usual, and harder to get hands on, of course gun crimes will go down. Yes some criminals will still be able to circumvent the rules, but you are assuming all criminals have equal and easy access to guns, which simply isn't true in places where there are fewer guns than America. As well, it probably isn't a stretch to assume that some crime is FUELED by easy access to guns. In a system where a gun can easily be stolen from ones parents, ones neighbors, etc. many young people do take these weapons to use for their robberies, or worse, shooting sprees. Would they go ahead with these plans without easy access to guns? Probably not. Limited access to guns does limit gun crimes and crime in general. You can look at any other country to see this.

Unfortunately, as I mentioned, with 310 million guns in the States, it's going to take some time.

As for the addition of crime for people who can't defend themselves, there is no hard evidence to back that up. In fact all studies show that more accidents or mistakes are made by people with guns, than incidents that are prevented.

Last edited by Daradon; 01-22-2013 at 08:22 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Daradon For This Useful Post: