View Single Post
Old 05-15-2019, 11:05 PM   #206
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

No GM is perfect. Everyone would make mistakes in that role. Plus, hindsight is huge. Most people were in favour of the Neal and Stone signings when they happened.

I can say right now that I wouldn't have signed Brouwer, but maybe I'd have signed Loui Eriksson instead. Or David Backes. Maybe I'd still be giving David Jones one-year deals. (OK probably not). Point is, teams have to spend money. We can erase bad contracts in theoretical worlds but if we're second-guessing every decision, maybe the Flames ship Hamilton off to St. Louis instead of Carolina and we're debating how to get rid of Robby Fabbri.

Anyway, with Bennett, I can see three big outcomes. Either he breaks out and becomes a semi-star, potting around 60 points a year; he improves only slightly into a 40-point player or something similar; or he stagnates entirely. For all three of these situations, the player still provides value to the team. So I say, lock Bennett in for as many years as possible. Give him 4 or even 5 if possible. See if he takes around $3 million. Even if he doesn't progress, that contract isn't gonna be deleterious, and if he improves even slightly, then it becomes a bargain.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote