View Single Post
Old 05-14-2019, 11:58 AM   #154
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bennett was supposed to be the future franchise player the Flames needed to compliment Gaudreau and Monahan. After the 2015 playoffs I would have had him higher on the untouchables list than anyone else in the organization because of the potential. I also thought that he and Tkachuk would potentially be the other dynamic duo to Gaudreau-Monahan in the summer of 2016.

He has not lived up to the hype or expectations and I think for some of the fans it has left them bitter and angry wanting to part ways with Bennett. There are a section of fans that think he is still poised for a breakout season and could be a 25 goal 50+point player (expectations have adjusted but still believe in the player). Then there are the fans that see him for what he is which is an effective middle 6 winger that has shown he can elevate his game when the stakes are higher.

I find myself in the second group who still believes Bennett has a lot more to give. I truly think he was partially ruined by Gulutzan and Peters is on the road the repairing him. If Bennett wanted to sign long term I would be all for it but I think for thebpkayer and team another 2 year deal with a modest raise to $2.5M per makes the most sense. My understanding is 2 years would take him to his final season of being a RFA so as long as the Flames still have his rights that is the way to go
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote