View Single Post
Old 05-15-2019, 10:21 AM   #102
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
In an ideal world we would track ticket sold worldwide. All of these inflation calculations are proxies for tickets sold. So if you are concerned about tickets sold exchange rate makes a big difference.

I adjusted Avatar’s exchange to today rather than adjusted Endgames gross so China is irrelevant in that sense.

The correct way to do it would be to take each currency value at the end of 2009 and adjust to today’s exchange rate then apply inflation to get to today’s dollars. But I’m lazy so looked for a short cut. If you look at Avatar its european grosses are where it dominated. So by checking the change in European exchange vs the American dollar index. 1.27 for the Euro to 1.24 for the dollar index I feel its close enough to say that the international box office is 20-30% higher than it would have been if it sold the same numbers of tickets in the same regions prior to accounting for inflation. The affect of inflation of 1.17 for both the worldwide and domestic totals.

So it works out close enough that without a more detailed analysis it’s fair to say that the exchange affects offset the inflation affects within the level of analysis that I’m willing to do. Or at a minimum a comparison of the adjusted worldwide values of Avatar and Endgame have significant errors which favour Avatar.

The other thing to note is that Avatar was the first film to see the 3D bump so its average ticket sale price is higher than the average ticket sale price for industry so the inflation number for Avatar skews high anyways.
If we're talking about tickets sold, things are way off. The price of an average ticket has gone through the roof recently, with all sorts of add-ons, Dbox, VIP, etc...

My point was that you can't just declare that inflation doesn't matter because the USD has gone up relative to the Euro.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote