View Single Post
Old 09-06-2016, 11:03 AM   #1011
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addick View Post
While I don't think all of our best athletes play hockey, I do believe that we don't approach other sports as seriously as we approach hockey. Even though many or most people involved with footy in this country may have the best of intentions, the execution is below the necessary standard. Consider my brother-in-law as an example. In order to coach my nephew's hockey team, my brother-in-law had to obtain a coaching certificate. In order to coach my nephew's footy team, my brother-in-law merely had to show up.
Well when I say that our best athletes play hockey its not exclusive. Look no further than the summer Olympics that just passed and you can see Canadian athletes who are incredible and don't play hockey. But it is a numbers game at some point. In New Zealand kids are predominantly rugby players, and to the surprise of no one they have an excellent rugby program as a result. When the vast majority of kids (athletes) play one sport, the program has a wider selection and the cream of the crop they select is better.

Its also an issue that we have had some kids who were excellent players but had the option to opt for other national teams. Would they alone be enough to push Canada into the WC? Maybe not, but the increased competition and increased level for the team overall would've made an impact I think.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote