View Single Post
Old 03-27-2019, 12:05 PM   #167
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:
Flames

Quote:
Theresa May has promised Tory MPs she will step down as prime minister before the next phase of Brexit negotiations in a bid to get Eurosceptics to back her withdrawal deal.

The prime minister said she would make way for another Conservative leader, after listening to the demands of MPs for a new leadership team.

“I have heard very clearly the “I have heard very clearly the mood of the parliamentary party. I know there is a desire for a new approach – and new leadership – in the second phase of the Brexit negotiations and I won’t stand in the way of that,” May said, according to a transcript released afterwards.

“I know some people are worried that if you vote for the withdrawal agreement, I will take that as a mandate to rush on into phase two without the debate we need to have. I won’t; I hear what you are saying. But we need to get the deal through and deliver Brexit.

“I am prepared to leave this job earlier than I intended in order to do what is right for our country and our party.”

She did not set a specific date for her departure as she spoke to a 1922 committee meeting of Conservative backbenchers. But she is likely to be out of Downing Street before the autumn.
https://www.theguardian.com/politics...hase-of-brexit

I know you all hate me so if you pass my deal I'll go away.

Bagor is offline   Reply With Quote