View Single Post
Old 04-12-2021, 03:15 PM   #501
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Gene Roddenberry was responsible for Season 1 of TNG. That was his new-age vision. Go back and try to watch it. It's horrifyingly bad.

I mean, still better than Picard (which I couldn't get through even half the season of) but pretty bad. There are two good versions of Trek: post-season-2 TNG where you have a bunch of likable characters in morality plays, and DS9, which is a more serialized and character-driven version of what Trek can be. Lots of reasonable ground for disagreement about which of those is better. But it's neither Roddenberry Trek, nor is it the garbage that's been hocked as Star Trek in the last couple of decades.

You'd think there has to be a Star Trek version of Dave Filoni somewhere to hand the keys to, right?
IMO Roddenberry is probably spinning so fast in his grave that enough power could be rendered to actually explore warp (Alcubierre) drive in real physical terms due to the ridiculous "trek" that has been shoved in our faces since Abrams.

The story telling has been god awful, but the worst part for me has been the insistence on diving into time periods that actually cause great damage to the lore and universe that Star Trek so painstakingly built using pseudo science and continuity. It continues to be a giant F U to the majority of existing long term fans all in some misguided effort to capture some new fan base that may or may not exist.

You're not wrong about S1 of TNG, but I would take S1 TNG any day over what is happening right now, which is just making Star Trek into Star Wars with more outright killing.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote