View Single Post
Old 10-23-2019, 12:06 PM   #22
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matata View Post
Didn't really like it. Some of the world building was intriguing, but it was trying too hard to be stylish and pull at the hearstrings. Making white supremacists the bad guy could work, but it just seemed like a lazy way of modernizing the story (the original story was about power, control and human nature, race was never really part of it, so it was weird that it was made a core theme).

I really hated seeing Doctor Manhattan on Mars, apparently the god who was transcending human perceptions of space and time hasn't figured out anything better to do over the last 30 years.
I definitely agree with these criticisms.

Rorschach was in no way a racist. It really seems odd that his legacy would be adopted by racists. A KKK revival is a very lazy way to make it clear who the bad guys are. This is a huge missed opportunity to explore the nuances about the potential conflicts between government, freedom, and overtly right wing thinking.

I'm willing to give the writers the benefit of the doubt, as Rorschach's teachings could definitely be co-opted by fascist groups. Perhaps another interpretation of Rorschach from other characters come out later on in the series.

Apparently there are some panels in the original Watchmen of Rorschach reading racist newsletters though? I don't remember that but would be interested to see what he was reading.

And yes, you do have to watch the movie to know what's going on here.

Edit: Upon some further reflection...the good guys so far are the police, who are also using some very questionable tactics. We'll likely get a more nuanced storyline as the season unfolds.

Last edited by blankall; 10-23-2019 at 12:14 PM.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote