Thread: Kentucky Derby
View Single Post
Old 05-04-2008, 09:28 AM   #7
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post

how is today different than 50, 100, 1000 years ago?

Horses die every year ALL over the place....but because these ones are bred and wanting to run and humans can enjoy them for that fact....it's somehow worse?

I was involved in the sport from the periphery many years ago as a part-owner. i will be the first to admit there is a small minority of people in the sport that abuse these animals to varying degress...they usually end up getting caught and are out of the game one way or the other because of it.

It's still a very noble sport for the most part and those animals are as beloved by their owners/trainers/riders/groomers as any other household pet.
I agree that the sport itself isn't any different now then it was 100 years ago and won't change in the future and I know that the people in the business love their horses. It is the attitude of people that have changed. People value the life of humans and animals more these days and I'm just surprised that with a tragedy in the biggest race of the year every year, people today still accept it as a mainstream and noble sport.

Dogs died 10000 years ago too but look how outraged people were about dog-fighting last year.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote